Jolly Good, My Dear Jimothy-Kun
“In what pottery-smashed world do you live in?” I think back to those words now. I try putting a single plate away to what fate? A crash summits, bleeding clatter and clang. I turn immediately over to Jimothy; he washes his own plates next to me. He stops to turn immediately over just as me, but instead to witness the wreck on the floor in front of us both.
- My apologies Jimothy, I shall get this cleaned up right away. How much was the plate—I'll cover for it.
- No, it's fine. I'll take care of things, don't worry.
- Are you sure? Anything I could perhaps do to help?
- Hm, maybe fetch the broom. He says, holding his chin, it's in the supply cupboard, do you remember where it is from last time?
- I can find my way around, says I, but why do you not have it nearer the kitchen?
- Doesn't match the colour scheme, Jimothy moves from the mess, anyway, you go fetch the broom while I step clear of any shards.
- Again, sorry about the mess; I really apologise for that.
- Apologising won't make the mess go away any sooner.
I nod in disgruntled agreement and head out from the room, stopping just at the corridor the two of us walked through earlier.
Opposite the living room is another door; if I recall, it should be right through it. I open the door and go inside.
Another hallway greets me; it stretches along to the right. I see an ascending staircase in front of me, running aside the egg-shell wall.
Embedded in the staircase I spot another door; just to my left I spot another egg-shell wall; a nice painting hangs from it, one of a forest basked in moonlight.
Natsuki Subaru wanders the looping corridor.
Opening the door in front of me, I find the supply cupboard my good friend was talking about. A dark supply cupboard. A light switch is just to the left of me, I turn it on. Bloom.
A far more cramped supply cupboard meets my eyes than expected. A red hoover and mop show themselves up in front; they block a rather large amount of cardboard boxes, all taped closed; and one worn-down, leather couch broken into shambles of its former self.
Grabbing the hoover, I try moving it to uncover what is behind yet budge it will not. Pulling instead, nothing changes. Pulling with two hands, I slip from my grip and fall over on my back. Ah, not a nice pain; no, sir not at all.
I try moving the mop. It is a touch looser but still, it moves not from its stance. Stubborn thing. I tug at it with a bull's strength; the stick of the mop pops out from its wig of a shoe. And after all that, I find not a thing new behind the mop: unreliable narration. I adjust my glasses.
Goodness me, I should relay my good old Jimothy-kun a darling message or two.
Making my way back, I spot, in the corner of my eye, the red sign from earlier. Human curiosity begs the devil mercy. I walk over to the poorly locked door.
Sliding off the pointless lock from the doorknob and placing it carefully on the floor, I grab a hold of the door and yank. Locked. How curious. It couldn't be from the inside, could it? What a peculiar thing. Could it be jammed per chance? I stare between the cracks of the door for no light to stare back.
Gnawing fangs of night's unbright. Pale bones immortal to all but light.
Add that to the collection, might I not? Maybe share with Jimothy-kun? No, best not step in front of the mirror—nothing will be seen after all.
I walk back to Jimothy-kun.
- Jimothy-kun dear, I couldn't find the broom.
- Goodness, gracious—never going to put that name down, are you? Was it not there in the supply cupboard? Jimothy-kun leans against the kitchen counter, should be in the room opposite, under the stairs.
- Sadly not. Says I. All that was there was a red mop and hoover; an old couch, and enough supply boxes to get through a zombie apocalypse.
- That's odd.
- Yes, quite so. I itch at my neck, are you positive the broom was in there last you checked?
- While yes, I am, that’s not what I meant by odd, he says, I don’t recall buying a red hoover is all.
- You sure?
- No, I’m not. Doesn’t matter though, I suppose. Jimothy-kun's eyes widen. Oh, the boxes were sealed right?
- Yeah, why?
- Wait, actually some should’ve been open. Was every box sealed?
- Do you have that bad a memory, surely you would remember sealing them.
- I had someone else do it for me a while back; not been in that cupboard since ages ago.
- Wait, so are you saying that you had, last time you checked, put the broom in the same cupboard you have not been in since ages ago?
- Yes, that’s right; I did say that didn’t I?
- Okay, how about that poorly locked cupboard of yours then?
- As if I’d put it in there.
- Why not?
- Too far from the kitchen.
- And the supply cupboard is not?
- Well, when you put it like that…
- Maybe check perhaps?
- It wouldn’t be in there.
- And you are but adamant to say so why?
- Oh. I, erm, I really want to kind of, uh… keep you out… I can imagine you trying to, uh, ‘borrow’ some money out of there—if I’m to put it lightly.
- Hey, I only did that once. I point at Jimothy-kun, and I paid you back for it too.
- You only paid half…
- I think it was more a third.
- And your point is?
- Fair case, detective.
- Is that a point?
- A dull one.
- Terrible joke there, James.
- I think it was my sharpest yet, Jimothy-kun.
- Anyways, I sit up on the kitchen counter, other than that poor, red herring of yours, where would the broom be?
- Get off the counter.
- Right, sorry.
- Retrace your steps perhaps?
- Thought of somewhere?
- You’re going to be angry.
- Why? Where is it?
Jimothy-kun moves from the counter and towards the fridge opposite us. He towers over it in height yet seizes himself weak in stature. A small difference of synonyms. Open to interpretation yet I am closed-minded. Claustrophobic.
Wooden drawers all connected; and unlike them, the fridge is surrounded by gaps of space.
I see the path opening to sight; the mirror reflects the cured fangs of night.
On a roll today. Seems the sun is leaking. Am I on fire?
Jimothy-kun reaches inside one of the gaps in space, on the right-side of the fridge.
I watch over the counter. My question is answered.
I am not on fire.
Jimothy-kun pulls out a brown broom.