May 24, 2026
To:Tomoyuki Tanaka
Yeah I definitely understand the point you're making. I'm thinking about it from why would the character say what they said. I don't always get it right, but usually speech behavior is done with a reason. And I think in a different setting, Cal would have totally had a different approach in how he delivered it. Because he is that experienced commander and soldier of battle. But here he's showing some vulnerability, something a little more human and emotional. Like his team, he is affected by their deaths and as leader he carries the responsibility of their deaths. So I think this is more a moment of exposing under stress what person Cal really is. Intent and delivery are different things. When he says "Those bastards will die" he isn't speaking all of humanity under HOPE or even their leaders. He's just speaking to the pilots of the two machines. So while I agree, do I think it makes sense here that this is what came out. Because he's not doing public speaking. For which your examples are often doing. He is speaking publicly to his team, but this is a far more intimate setting than a broadcast or speech. Schir and Rinn aside, these are his blood brothers, those that he's fought with at this side. So he has a more casual and unguarded approach them.