Slow

Slow

I mainly love writing anime inspired stories. So I am really glad I found this platform
[email protected]

registered at: Dec 01, 2024
Roles
  • Author
  • Badge

    badge-silver

    silver
    Achievements



    Oct 04, 2026

    Feedback #19

    All right. A lot of things happened in this chapter. There was a lot of stuff I thought was really good, but there was also one particular thing I wanted to draw attention to.

    So, the idea of Yui looking for the perfect song is awesome. She's trying to dig deep into her ancestry, her people, and her culture to capture the feeling she gets whenever she goes back home to her island and share that feeling with other people in the capital. I think that's a great move.

    Her going back to the memorial site to pay her respects and perform a bit of soothing song magic was also quite good. It reinforces her character while subtly reminding us of the war that occurred before this current fragile peace.

    And I'm glad the Duke's assistant's suspicion was paid off here. We already suspected that he knew something was going on, and it was paid off wonderfully when we learned that he knows who she really is.

    Her panic was also understandable. Both she and her brother Crow's panic made sense. Her secret has just been exposed, and she's worried that this could cause more trouble for her and her family. That was very touching, and I think it was handled very well.

    I also liked the letters and how, through them, we understand that the Duke might actually be a pretty chill guy who could be willing to work with Lullaby. The issue is the people around him, particularly the other nobles who might put up a fuss. All of that was very good, and I really liked how it was handled.

    Now, the thing I wanted to bring to your attention was the brief display of magical combat.

    Before writing this feedback, I even had to look it up. Both Violet Evergarden and Frieren: Beyond Journey's End came to mind. Although Violet Evergarden wasn't really a slice-of-life story and was more focused on heavy military themes, Frieren: Beyond Journey's End, which has more of that slice-of-life feeling, seems like it may have been more influential on the style of your writing.

    I didn't read the light novels. I just read the synopsis. But I will get back to these references in a second.

    What I'm trying to say is that the brief combat-magic fight in this chapter felt a little sudden.

    We've spent nearly 15 chapters, if I'm not mistaken, without seeing any hint of extreme combat magic, at least not to this degree.

    Yes, there's that one chapter I really like, Chapter 10. Again, this is why I thought it would have made such a good opening. It would have primed the reader to expect that, eventually, there would be extreme uses of magical abilities in combat. So when a moment like this appeared later, it wouldn't feel quite as out of place.

    I'm just giving you my thoughts on how I think this is usually handled. You prime the reader early on to understand that extreme magic exists in this world. The opening shows that this girl is a fighter, that her songs can cause a lot of damage in combat, and that this world has powerful magical combat abilities.

    Then, when all the slice-of-life moments build on top of that foundation, readers can generally digest moments like this much more easily.

    But without Chapter 10 establishing that foundation, this brief magical combat felt a little out of place compared to the rest of the novel's tone. So far, we've mostly seen Yui in casual, peaceful situations. We haven't really seen her as a fighter at all.

    I feel like it would have benefited the story if you had shown small examples of casual magical combat throughout the earlier chapters, even briefly, leading up to this fight. That way, the reader would already understand that this kind of magic exists and that it can become much more powerful when necessary.

    Right now, the politics seemed perfect for the chapter, but the combat came across as a little sudden. The reader needs a moment to digest the fact that such extreme magic is actually used for combat in this world.

    That's why I brought up those examples, especially Frieren: Beyond Journey's End. According to what I found on Google, the anime does show casual uses of magic, including combat magic, in everyday situations, which helps prime the reader alongside the premise of the story to expect eventual magical combat.

    And even though Yui and the people around her are living in a post-war generation, the story hasn't specifically shown her and her family to be the battle-hardened types. So when this kind of extreme magical combat suddenly appears, it can feel a little disconnected from what we've seen of them so far.

    Anyway, I hope you understand what I'm saying.

    Regardless, this was another excellent job, Momo.

    icon-reaction-1
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-2
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-3
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-4
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-5
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-6
    Loading...
    1
    Flowers on the Battlefield
    Chapter:19

    Oct 04, 2026

    Feedback #18

    Okay, I think I have found my favorite side character. Her name is Odoe.

    This chapter was extremely beautiful. It really brought forth and showed us Odoe's character, her struggles, her dreams, and her goals. It did a lot to make her sympathetic to us as readers.

    Through her perspective, we also understood a lot of things about the world. Humans and Udari live together, even in an orphanage. The humans aren't all that physically hostile toward the Udari.

    And honestly, Odoe is a character I wouldn't mind following if she had her own spin-off book. Haha.

    I would describe this chapter as bittersweet, because it really is. You see Odoe's struggles as a Udari, but you also see her continuing to push toward what she wants to achieve through hard work.

    Her interaction with Ui was just the perfect addition. Baby Ui is adorable. Even as a kid, she wanders off and has such a curious mind. It looks like she's the one who gave Odoe the idea of branching out with her food from the traditional Udari culture and transforming it slightly into other styles that both Udari and humans can enjoy.

    Their interaction was just very good. It was like the cherry on top of an already very enjoyable chapter.

    If there's anything I want to point out, and I almost don't want to because I really liked the chapter, it's this.

    First, do all Udari have pink hair? That's my first question.

    Second, we see that Odoe did face some discrimination, but the narration mostly tells us about it rather than showing us. I think showing us one or two moments where she actually experiences that discrimination would have been more impactful.

    And this connects to something I've mentioned before. We are told that Odoe suffered some discrimination, but then when Ui's mother rushes to find her and protect her identity, I found myself thinking, "Well, it doesn't seem all that bad."

    Because, again, the story so far hasn't really shown the humans being extremely hostile or violent toward the Udari. Yes, there is some discrimination here and there, but so far it doesn't seem like anything particularly severe.

    Odoe is standing right in front of Ui's mother with her hair exposed, and she's doing fine. I'm sure if a bunch of humans came walking past and looked at Ui, they'd say, Oh, look at that udari girl.

    That's really the only thing I would point out.

    Other than that, I really enjoyed the chapter. Odoe is now my second favorite character, and this was another excellent one, Momo.

    icon-reaction-1
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-2
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-3
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-4
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-5
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-6
    Loading...
    1
    Flowers on the Battlefield
    Chapter:18



    Oct 03, 2026

    Feedback #17

    Okay, there's something I would like to point out here.

    Sometimes I forget that Yui is trying to be incognito. I think I've mentioned this before, but let me briefly bring it up again.

    Yui has her own goals as a Yudari, which are centered around promoting peace. So when things happen to her and people like the Duke apologize to her, I, as the reader, can sometimes become a bit confused. For example, I found myself wondering whether the Duke was apologizing because he understood and supported Yui's goals as a Yudari, or because he simply saw she was a human that was being inconvenienced by their discussion of war. I hope that makes sense.

    And this connects to something I've mentioned before: how hostile is this world actually supposed to be? Is the relationship between the Yudari and humans relatively peaceful now, with no lingering threats of war, or are hostilities gradually growing?

    You did a great job showing the peacefulness, but the narration also hints at something very different through things like Lullaby's sabotage of factories and the reasons she's wanted. It's understood that she does these things to slow down potential war efforts, right? But we don't really see those tensions happening in the present.

    We see the ghosts of past conflicts, like when she was in the cemetery and learned about everything that happened before, but we never really see the humans actively trying to start something new.

    I think if the narration found more ways to subtly remind us of those tensions and show some of those things happening, it would land a lot better. It would also make Yui's goals as both a human living in disguise and a Yudari trying to promote peace much easier to understand.

    Because right now, I sometimes lose sight of the fact that she's actually in disguise. Like we saw earlier with the Yudari woman selling food in the shop, nobody seems particularly hostile toward her. Nobody is trying to run her out of town, shut down her business, or otherwise make her life difficult because she's Yudari.

    If there were more subtle signs of that hostility, I think Yui's situation would become much clearer.

    Right now, the main reason Yui seems to be hiding is because of her identity as Lullaby, rather than simply because she's a Yudari. That makes sense, but I sometimes lose track of the distinction between Yui the human persona, Yui the Yudari, and Yui the singer known as Lullaby.

    Because her motivation remains the same, and we hardly ever see her actively sabotaging anything or causing the destruction of human properties that are being used to prepare for war, it's difficult to differentiate between her different personas.

    We mostly just see one Yui: the Yui who lives her everyday life with her family.

    I think showing more of those sides of her would make the distinction much clearer and help us understand that, even though they're all the same person, Yui is balancing different identities and goals at the same time.

    Anyway, this was another solid chapter that helped clarify the situation with the noble. It also showed that not everyone has a war-hungry mindset and that the Duke is more open to the possibility of peace talks in the future, which I really liked.

    I think scenes like this are especially useful because they show that if the Yudari were suffering in certain ways, the Duke might actually be more willing to lend a helping hand. So if Yui eventually reveals her true identity to him as Lullaby and as a Yudari, there's already a foundation for him to understand where she's coming from.

    ...

    Oh, and before I end this segment, there's one major clarification I need to understand.

    It seems like at some moments I might have forgotten that the narration is hinting that the main struggle, the core issue behind the conflict, is actually resources, as Mara also highlighted in the comments.

    If that's the case, then you can ignore parts of my feedback in this chapter and the previous one. A lot of what I mentioned was based on the idea that the conflict was primarily some kind of racial issue rather than a conflict over resources.

    So you can take the parts of my feedback that you feel would benefit your intention of having the conflict be resource-based and leave out the parts that mainly apply to a racial conflict.

    But in future stories, I think things like this should be constantly reinforced in subtle ways so the reader doesn't easily lose sight of what the main issue behind the war actually is.

    That's why I loved Chapter 10 so much. If that had been the beginning, it would have told us almost everything we needed to know right from the start: that there was a history of conflict between the humans and the Yudari, and that this small girl was at the center of it, defending her people.

    That chapter did a lot of heavy lifting in terms of explaining the world and the conflict. In my opinion, it would have been a great introduction to the world, and every slice-of-life moment that came afterward could have served as a slower expansion and discovery of Yui and the world around her.

    Anyway, excellent job, Momo!

    icon-reaction-1
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-2
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-3
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-4
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-5
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-6
    Loading...
    0
    Flowers on the Battlefield
    Chapter:17

    Oct 03, 2026

    Feedback #16

    Okay, this chapter was structured well, with Yui's singing as well as her friend, the mage serving as a bodyguard I think, playfully trying to get her attention. That was funny.

    The high-stakes political discussion that happened at the table was also revealing, showing that this world is still dealing with ongoing hostilities against the Yudari.

    Now, something I want to draw attention to is how peaceful things almost seem to be, despite the characters or narration at certain points telling us that these people are actually hostile.

    For example, back in Yui's village, the Yudari village, things seemed quite peaceful. There's no ongoing sabotage or fighting in distant lands. There's no discussion of, if I can remember correctly, nearby fighting along the borders or anything like that.

    I guess I feel like that would have increased the tension just a bit and shown us that the war is still lingering. Because initially, I thought this was like a post-war world where the fighting was over, but now I understand that the threat of the war restarting still lingers.

    Usually, in those kinds of stories, I think it's effective to see active issues still occurring. Little fights still ongoing, little skirmishes happening here and there, or acts of sabotage. Those kinds of things would help sell the idea that peace could break at any moment.

    Especially with the Yudari who sells food here in the capital. If we heard her complaining that her shop sometimes gets raided, or that soldiers harass her, or things like that, those little details would help sell the fact that, yes, there is peace, but the peace is fragile at best.

    Anyway, I still suspect that the Duke's assistant, who keeps hanging around Yui all the time, might have motives of his own.

    But I think you did a good job showing Yui's displeasure with the conversation. She stomped out of there without revealing her identity, so everyone would just think, "Oh yeah, she's annoyed that they're spoiling her day with political talk," not knowing that she's actually a Yudari who's annoyed by the conversation.

    This was another good one. Excellent job, Momo!

    icon-reaction-1
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-2
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-3
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-4
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-5
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-6
    Loading...
    1
    Flowers on the Battlefield
    Chapter:16