Mario Nakano 64

Mario Nakano 64

It's a me. I'm an aspiring light novel writer hoping to one day see my works in anime form. I hope that my works at least brighten up your day and give you something to look forward to.

registered at: Jun 30, 2023
MyAnimeList iconMyAnimeList icon
Roles
  • Author
  • Artist
  • Badge

    badge-gold

    gold
    Achievements

    Jun 28, 2026

    Author's Commentary #28:

    Time to talk about Chapter 28: Tirade of the Bloody Baron.
    As stated in the previous commentary, Roman von Ungern-Sternberg is an actual historical figure, however, it's unclear whether he actually played chess. Rather, it was Kurt von Ungern-Sternberg who was actually famous for his skills in simul chess. I first learned about this thanks to an article on Chess.com a few months before writing this volume. As such, I decided to play around with history a bit for this work of fiction in order to make Jad a more menacing antagonist. Speaking of which, lets talk more about him.

    ロマン・ウンゲルン (Roman Ungern) and ロマン・フョードロヴィチ・フォン・ウンゲルン=シュテルンベルク (Roman Fyodorovich von Ungern-Sternberg) are how he's referred to in Japanese, while Барон Унгерн фон Штернберг (Robert Nikolaus Maximilian Freiherr von Ungern-Sternberg) is how it would be spelled in Mongolian. ニコライ・ロバート・マクシミリアン・フライヘル・フォン・ウンゲルン=シュテルンベルク (Nikolai Robert Maximilian Freiherr von Ungern-Sternberg) is how his full name would be spelled in katakana.
    (If I made any mistakes with the translations, feel free to correct me).

    If you recall way back in his introductory bio, I listed Jad's birthday as January 10th. This is also Ungern-Sternberg's birthday, meaning that birthday served as a hint to his true identity. In the same bio, I also stated his favorite piece was the king, which makes sense in greater context as he wanted to restore both the Russian monarchy and the Mongol Empire.

    Two more clues hinting at his identity were his violent nature, and Raymond name dropping his first name back when he arrived at the playing hall at the start of round 5. And as a bonus, Ulaanbaatar has been renamed. Since Ungern-Sternberg hated communists, I doubt he'd allow the capitol city of Mongolia to be named "Red Hero", especially since the name was given to the city during the formation of the Mongolian People's Republic. Now with the Ungern-Sternberg facts out of the way, on to the behind the scenes stuff with this chapter.

    I think the Okisato vs Jad fight is a cinematic masterpiece, however, it was easily one of the most difficult games to write, mainly due to wavering levels of motivation. Most of that lies with the IRL Mal x Honeyfeed 2024 writing contest, which was wrapping up around the time I reached this point in the story. The other factor was the game itself being almost 60 moves. When I fist got writing it though, I was super motivated, even having a blast writing it. But I came close not to getting this chapter out in daily fashion due to me being preoccupied with other works at the time.

    It all worked out though, and as a result, we get Okisato giving an epic roast of Ungern-Sterberg, who will still be known as Jad throughout the series, in Mongolian nonetheless. Okisato really struck gold when he gained the ability to learn any language with ease. He truly is a polyglot among polyglots.

    One final thing I'll mention is the opening Jad played that went 1. h3 e5 2. e3, which previously went unnamed. But henceforth, it shall be dubbed the Ungern-Sternberg opening. And with that, Japan's men's team gets their first perfect victory of the tournament, while also sending the message to Mongolia that they won't be conquered. Now all that remains before the round's conclusion is to check up on some of the other teams. This was an exhausting round to write, mainly because of the behind the scenes stuff with the contest, but it all worked out. After these next few chapters, round 6 will kick off, and I promise tensions will be higher than ever as one of the Japanese teams will face its toughest opponent yet in tournament.

    That's all for this commentary. I hope you enjoyed it.

    icon-reaction-1
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-2
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-3
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-4
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-5
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-6
    Loading...
    0
    EPGM Volume 7 cover
    En Passant Grandmaster Volume 7
    Chapter:28


    Jun 28, 2026

    Author's Commentary #27:

    Time to talk about Chapter 27: A schooling from Ryonosuke.
    With a title like that, you know things are gonna go down. Ryonosuke bounces back with a win over Jochi, meaning Japan has clinched the match, regardless of what happens on board 1. Ryonosuke needed a proper win since his round 1 win over Sommer was more due to Sommer playing like an idiot. Thus, I decided it was time for Ryonosuke to get some screentime and a win.

    Originally, I had a different game for these two, but decided to change it here because I learned the Mongolian Attack was a real opening and thus, I had to have a Mongolian play the opening. This game I got was special because I was up against Chess.com's level 23 2700-rated engine bot. It was shocking how fast it blundered when forced to play the opening.

    But despite Japan's victory, the fight is far from over though, as Jad is so pissed at this development, he shattered his horse skull mask with his hand, revealing himself to be none other than the infamous Roman von Ungern-Sternberg. For those who don't know, Ungern-Sternberg, also known as the Bloody Baron, is a historical figure that existed back in the early 1900s, who sought to revive the Mongol Empire. He failed, and was captured and executed via firing squad. But in this work of fiction, he survived, which will be properly explained in the next chapter.

    That's all for this commentary. I hope you enjoyed it.

    icon-reaction-1
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-2
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-3
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-4
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-5
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-6
    Loading...
    0
    EPGM Volume 7 cover
    En Passant Grandmaster Volume 7
    Chapter:27








    Jun 26, 2026

    Author's Commentary #25:

    Time to talk about Chapter 25: You don't know opening theory.
    It's back to the men's side at last, and the return doesn't disappoint. We've got the masked man doing masked man things, but before we talk about that, it's time to do bios for the remaining members of the Mongolian team.

    オルダ・イチェン (Orda Ichen) is how Orda's name would be written in katakana. Орда Ичэн (Orda Ichen) is how his name would be spelled in Mongolian.

    His birthday is December 6th. Since there's no official birthday for the historical Orda, I decided to have this Orda's birthday be this date as 1206 was the year the historical Orda was born.

    His favorite piece is the knight as he likes to do horseback archery.

    チャガタイ・ハーン (Chagatai Khan) is how Chagatai's name would be written in katakana. Цагадай хаан (Chagatai Khan) is how his name would be written in Mongolian.

    His birthday is December 27th. Since there's no recorded birthday for the historical Chagatai, I chose this date at random to serve as the birthday for this Chagatai. There is some significance behind the date as 1227 was the year his reign as Khan of the Chagatai Khanate began, which is why I chose the date that I did.

    His favorite piece is the king.

    オゲデイ・ハーン (Ögedei Khan) is how Ögedei's name is spelled in katakana. Өгэдэй хаан (Ögedei Khan) is how his name would be written in Mongolian.
    (If I made any mistakes with the translations, feel free to correct me).

    His birthday is September 13th, which is the day Ögedei's rein as Khagan of the Mongol Empire began. Since the historical Ögedei's birthday is unknown, I went with this date for this Ögedei.

    His favorite piece is the king.

    If someone from the past was brought back, the chances of them fully grasping modern opening theory would be low. Here, we see just that. The masked man is once again proving he's a genius by flexing on Ögedei with a Meadow Hay Mistake. Ögedei, who is learning the game quite well, still doesn't know the ins and outs of it all, which prompted the masked man to go with such a crazy plan.

    Though the highlight of this chapter for me is actually the bits with Okisato and Jad. Jad has no regard for the no-talking rule here, talking as he pleases, because he believes he's a conqueror that can do what he wants. But regardless of how he does, his teammates are on the ropes. With one down, it's on to Mori's game. Hopefully he can score a much needed win here.

    That's all for this commentary. I hope you enjoyed it.

    icon-reaction-1
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-2
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-3
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-4
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-5
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-6
    Loading...
    0
    EPGM Volume 7 cover
    En Passant Grandmaster Volume 7
    Chapter:25


    Jun 26, 2026

    Author's Commentary #24:

    Time to talk about Chapter 24: Don't fear the yedua.
    This is a chapter of mysteries, many of which won't be answered in this volume. That said, this whole sequence of events with Lea isn't entirely out of the blue, no pun intended. What I am willing to reveal all on is the game.

    When I settled on Lea facing Mimoko, I knew I needed to have an epic game to help illustrate the clash between them. I was originally going to just have Lea reveal her true form normally without the blue void, but I felt having the void be a thing would be better for the overall story. As for why Mimoko or no one else noticed things were amiss, all were too focused on their matches to pay attention. Lea's eye was actually blue this whole time, which is why she shielded it with her hair so Mimoko wouldn't catch on, as she was hoping that the more oblivious Mimoko was to her surroundings, the more shocked she'd be when she finally realized what was going on, which Lea hoped would have a negative impact on her performance. Naturally, it failed to phase Mimoko.

    This was actually the second-to-last game I ended up writing for this volume. It was originally going to be the last, but as mentioned in my previous commentary, I realized that Mimoko played as Black for this game when she needed to play as White. Since I was not going to rewrite this epic game, I opted to rewrite the game between Daria and Irit.

    Finally, to give a little insight on Lea, she claims to be a yedua, a humanoid plant-like creature from Jewish mythology said to predate the creation of humans. In Hebrew, her name, Lea Yedua, actually translates to "Unknown", which is why she was given the name as everything about her was unknown when she was found. I decided to put double meaning into the word-play by having the "Yedua" actually hint at Lea actually being a yedua, or at the least, a human who was turned into one. Whether Lea truly is a yedua or was turned into one is a mystery for another day.

    That's all for this commentary. I hope you enjoyed it.

    icon-reaction-1
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-2
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-3
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-4
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-5
    Loading...
    icon-reaction-6
    Loading...
    0
    EPGM Volume 7 cover
    En Passant Grandmaster Volume 7
    Chapter:24